When we think of Pattaya, a family-style holiday destination is not what initially springs to mind. We usually think of beers, babes and nights out. What you don’t realize is that Pattaya has some of the best family-attractions of any major tourist destination in Thailand. More than Phuket, Chiang Mai and Bangkok? Maybe more than all of them combined! Here are 5 reasons to enjoy a Pattaya family holiday.
1# – Pattaya is cleaning up its act!
I like kids a lot. I used to be one myself back in the olden days. Now I have a couple of kids of my own, I am starting to see Pattaya in a different light. The ethos and philosophy of Pattaya tourism is changing. And has been for the past 7 or 8 years. Pattaya was always known as a ‘City of Sin’, but the cleanup is now in full effect. Major party areas such as Soi 6 and even Walking Street have been undergoing crackdowns in recent times. Pattaya is moving away from its seedy nightlife reputation and is trying to create a wholesome and family orientated.
In recent times, we have seen the construction of lots of infrastructure such as the Pattaya underpass and ferry terminals to Hua Hin. Other plans are in place such as reinventing Walking Street. The Thai government is finally moving ahead with the decision to change the city’s reputation for the better. Lots of Pattaya family holiday attractions have been constructed over the past 5-years. Especially in the surrounding countryside areas in Nong Prue, Huay Yai, Na Jomtien, and Bangsaray. Pattaya is not the same place it was 10-years ago and in 10-years’ time, it will be almost unrecognizable.
2# – Pattaya Water Parks
Some of the newest and most modern Pattaya family holiday attractions were built in recent times. Two of the most popular in the region are Amazone Cartoon Network Water Park and Ramayana Water Park. Both parks are located over in the Bangsaray region, just a 20-minute drive from downtown Pattaya. They offer state-of-the-art water slides that create awesome aquatic adventures!
Come and get down with all your Cartoon Network favorites such as Finn & Jake, Ben 10, The Regular Show and much more. The choice of water slides at the Amazone Cartoon Network is simply stunning. Amazone is open 7 days per week and ticket prices start from 790 THB! Ramayana Water Park was built in 2016 and is already lauded as the best water park in the region. It is definitely the cheapest and best value for money. With ticket prices that start from 600 THB, the value is great.
3# – Pattaya Family Holiday Zoos and Theme Parks
Kids have such a great time on a Pattaya family holiday as there are so many family-style attractions, zoos and theme parks. Did you know that the city is home to the largest aquarium in this part of Thailand? How about Pattaya having the most popular night safari? Did you know that Pattaya has a park with ancient stones that are millions of years old? Here are some of the best Pattaya zoos and Pattaya theme parks that are ranked highly on TripAdvisor.
Check out these recommendations!
- Underwater World Pattaya – This aquarium is located in a very central location on Sukhumvit Road between Pattaya and Jomtien. Underwater World Pattaya Aquarium is a purpose-built facility that is famous for its 105-meter long water tunnel. The park is home to a varied number of sharks, stingrays, fighting fish and all manner of turtles and aquatic delights. The tickets cost (subject to change) 500 THB for adults and 300 THB for kids. It’s a great few hours of fun that also offers a very educational experience.
- Million Year Stone Park & Crocodile Farm – If you want to see ancient stones that are millions of years old, crocodile, snake and monkey shows, and lots of other animals such as bears and much more, an afternoon or full day at the Million Year Stone Park is amazing family fun. Locate a 20-minute drive outside the city at Nongplalai, the zoo is easy to reach. The price of tickets is 400 THB for adults and 200 THB for kids.
- Khao Kheow Open Zoo – This beautiful open zoo and safari park is situated approximately 40-minutes outside the city. It’s home to the stunning Bengal Tiger and is known as an animal-friendly zoo. There is also a night safari option that takes place at 7pm and 8pm. The ticket prices for this zoo are 300 THB per person.
- Nong Nooch Gardens – This is one of the most memorable theme parks in the Pattaya region. Located over at Bangsaray in stunning countryside, come and check out the mesmerizing botanical gardens, rides and lots of wildlife features. This is one of the most popular Pattaya family holiday attractions for tourists of all ages. Ticket prices cost 500 THB.
4# – Natural Sights and Pattaya Beaches
Pattaya might not be in the same league as St. Lucia, Phuket or the Maldives in terms of beautiful beaches, but it can still hold its own. The area has some real surprises and hidden gems. The main beaches in Pattaya and Jomtien are a little too over-commercialized, but there are some great options if you are willing to look around.
A 20-minute drive out of the city to the east, you will find Bangsaray Beach and the Royal Thai Navy Beach known as Sai Kaew. These are the two most beautiful in the region and offer a stark contrast to Pattaya Beach Road. You could opt to take a short ferry ride over to Koh Larn for only 100 THB from Bali Hai Pier. At Koh Larn you will be catapulted into a world of untold natural beauty. Koh Larn Island has several stunning beaches and crystal blue seas just like those in the South of Thailand, all just a short ferry ride away!
5# – Because Pattaya is Amazing!
What is there not to love about Pattaya? It really is amazing for a family holiday! Do not get caught up in the ‘Pattaya is only about partying’ talk because it’s simply not true. In a few years’ time, we might be talking about Pattaya being the best family holiday destination in SE-Asa! It is definitely moving in the right direction.
Fast Facts: Pattaya Family Holiday
- Pattaya has more family attractions than any other Thai holiday destination
- The city is home to the best 2 water parks in Thailand
- Pattaya has more zoos and theme parks than the rest of Thailand combined
- If you search a little, Pattaya also has some stunning beaches
- Pattaya is changing and is now a top-notch family destination